Autodesk wants civil engineers to start to employ Autodesk Civil 3D in their BIM 360 Design cloud environment. The latest Civil 3D 2020.2 release makes better managed, collaborative, and shared Civil 3D projects possible.
Inquiring minds want to know few important details:
- How does Civil 3D in the cloud work?
- Does Civil 3D in the BIM 360 cloud work?
- What’s in it for our organization?
Watch the official Autodesk webinar. It helps explain the essential productivity features and mechanics.
Civil 3D Collaboration in BIM 360
Autodesk's Dave Simeone, John Sayre, and Ben Wardell deliver an overview and demonstration of BIM 360 Design’s newest functionality - Collaboration for Civil 3D.
The essentials required for Managed Collaboration in Civil 3D are supplied.
Those Data Shortcut (DREF), XREF, and IREF references that our Civil 3D projects depend on all work in a BIM 360 production environment albeit with some care and feeding.
If you employ Reference Templates (TREFs), this useful Civil 3D Style Management Tool operates as well. More about TREF support in BIM 360 is detailed in Migrate A Civil 3D Test Project to BIM 360 post.
- See the Civil Training on the Web page and the New in Civil 3D 2020 and BIM 360 Tools video sections for more videos and takes on the Autodesk Civil 3D 2020.2 Collaboration release and details.
- The recorded video content for Autodesk University 2010 Online is now available as of this week. There a lots of AU 2019 sessions with related topics.
- There are new added links to the new Autodesk Connector ArcInfo Online and the Autodesk Connector for BIM 360 to our Autodesk Online Help page.
Civil 3D Interop is the Big Deal
This next shorter video explains the latest Civil 3D Projects big picture interoperability issues rolled out in Civil 3D 2020.1 and Civil 3D 2020.2 better than most. This video demos how all the new stuff works together.
Civil 3D 2020 and the Interop Connectors
MicroCAD's Samir Rezk delivers a walkthrough of the ArcGIS Connector, the BIM 360 Docs and BIM 360 Design Connector, and interop functionality for Civil 3D, Revit Structure, and Infraworks.
Civil 3D Test Project Migration
Ok. All this new stuff seems to demo acceptably. If you give a mouse a cookie, he’s going to ask:
Can we employ the tools we already know and use today to migrate projects to BIM 360 Design?
See the Migrate A Civil 3D Test Project to BIM 360 post. This write up based on the real world experience of porting multiple Framework for Civil 3D Sandbox projects, tackles many of the important initial issues and how to mechanics and workflows you need to know to get a test project up and running in Civil 3D BIM 360 Design.
The Migrate post is intended to help make the official Autodesk BIM 360 Design Civil 3D project migration help topics make more sense.
The post details should save you more than a day or two of angst and frustration.
I will continue to update the details in this Project Migration post.
Batch Save and Civil 3D Project Maintenance
Your test project must be upgraded to the latest Civil 3D 2020.2+ Update before you migrate the beast to the clouds.
Time to fire up the Civil 3D Batch Save Utility and make that processes faster and quicker. Batch Save will allow you to successfully upgrade one or more of your projects locally or on the local area network to Civil 3D 2020.2+. I’ll bet that if you do the Batch Save do more than once, you won’t accept tedious manual methods ever again. You shouldn’t.
Next time we’ll answer some important questions about updating, upgrading, and maintaining Civil 3D Projects in BIM 360 with these tools.
Make Civil 3D Work in Any Flavor
Get the Framework for Civil 3D Release 8
BIM 360 Civil 3D Batch Save Upgrade Posts
- The Civil 3D Batch Save Utility and detailed upgrades to Civil 3D in BIM 360 design project drawings and resources
- Why Civil 3D in BIM 360 Design projects matter and how to get started on the road to implementation
- Five Scripting Tips to make the Civil 3D Batch Save Utility work better
- The necessary details to migrate a Civil 3D test project to BIM 360 with the Autodesk Connector
- Proactive and practical steps to take to make Civil 3D Upgrades and Updates easier