Are Points are one of those “I love to hate them” beasties in AutoCAD Civil 3D? I say it often and loudly that the performance of Civil 3D COGO points sucks. Best to employ them thoughtfully. On the other hand, Civil 3D Survey points can rock your socks off. There are a whole bunch of videos that show that here.
Does it appear in Civil 3D that the right hand doesn’t know what the left hands in doing?
The Point of Voyages of Discovery
We sail off to find profit in gold or a new promised land of milk and honey. Miraculously, we pilgrims are taught by savages to employ 5-10lb lobsters as fertilizer to grow corn - a grain we never heard of. We learn to survive and then be thankful or not.
Many people seem to take a while to discover that we expect Civil 3D points to be something familiar when they are, in fact, much more. Are points a one from many or a many from one thing?
The Framework for Civil 3D resources and tools will make the trip easier.
The Voyages of Civil 3D Point Discovery
Here’s a selection from our Members section on Points in Civil 3D. Needless to say, there’s a novel and different Survey in Civil 3D section too. Register and discover a new world. Who knew?
- The Hows and Whys of Points in Civil 3D
- Fundamental Civil 3D and Survey Db mechanics and why they matter to you.
- How and Why multiple Description Key Sets and the Format column powers points
- A single Survey Db is important. Multiple Survey Db's in a project are mission critical. Here's why and a video.
- Why and how Framework customers employ multiple Description Key Sets for diverse Civil 3D purposes and tasks.
- The Maximum Width Label Style properties purposes and How to's.
- A practical method to relate Points to Alignments and then Manage, Label, and Publish them.
- A practical method to Standardize Point Groups and then manage them.
- Export workarounds for Points, Symbols and Point Labels in Civil 3D
- Adjustments to Export workarounds for Points, Symbols and Point Labels in Civil 3D
- Older version of Details for Point Publication in Civil 3D
- How to Copy and Manage Point Group Definitions in Civil 3D
- How to Externalize Point Group Definitions in text format
- A Standardized and Faster Method Linear Collection in Civil 3D
- How to get more related Figures from a single Figure in Civil 3D
- Better Description Keys mean less field work and faster to plan
- Why the System and the Model matter even in your Survey Codes
- The fundamentals of Survey in AutoCAD Civil 3D
All of this still applies in current versions of Civil 3D.
- Civil 3D allows points to do a lot more work with a lot less effort. How?